Our Approach and Why We Are Different
Thank you for considering the inventory offering from Yellow Dog Software for your F&B operation. We believe that we offer the best inventory system for the independent to small chain F&B operators. This cut sheet will show you all of the features of our software and how you can use it to improve your operations.
No two operations are the same and neither are two of our inventory systems. We work with each client to review their operations and then tailor the software configuration to help maximize their efficiency and use of Yellow Dog Inventory.
A key part of our solution is a dedicated team who will convert and program approximately 80% of your items and recipes. We say 80% in that we reserve the remaining 20% for training and your own retention to successfully manage the system going forward. We realize that our clients are very busy and often don’t have the time to spend programming a new inventory system or chasing down vendors to get information. Our implementation staff will work with each client to gather the item information and review all the conversions and recipe formatting. This approach means that we will be engaged with you on your setup through go-live. Unlike most of our competitors who “love you and leave you” once the sale is made, Yellow Dog will stand by you the whole way and ensure that the system is complete for a successful go-live experience.
We then back up your investment with a high touch support service. By high touch, we provide an easily accessible team of folks ready to answer your questions or assist with any technical needs you may have. We also provide 24/7/365 emergency support in case you ever need it. Lastly, our support team will provide free remote training whenever it is needed. We firmly believe that the best user is a trained user and we don’t want the fear of a cost to ever interfere with that.
Depending on each site’s particular needs, our F&B inventory offering may include the following:
Yellow Dog Inventory
This is the core inventory software system provided by Yellow Dog Software. This module will cover all of your item maintenance, purchasing/receiving/invoicing, and reporting needs.
EDI Vendor Interfaces
Yellow Dog Inventory offers an optional module for EDI integration with your vendors. This interface will automatically download your invoices and add them to your inventory system. A listing of our current EDI Vendor interfaces can be viewed here.
Accounting Invoice Export
We can also export invoices and present them to various accounting systems. A listing of these interfaces can be located here.
We can also import sales and transactions from catering systems to reduce inventory. A listing of these interfaces can be located here.
Point of Sale System Sync Module
Yellow Dog Software offers “sync” programs with the leading hospitality POS systems. All of our POS integrations support a “1” way sync (we receive a daily sales transaction file which we process to decrement inventory) and some support a “2” way sync (we can create and insert new/changed menu items to the POS system). Please click here to see a complete listing of these interfaces.
Inventory Item Details
Yellow Dog Inventory can create and manage all of your item’s details in one place. Our easy to use interface allows you to quickly navigate from creating an item, adding or adjusting a recipe, to printing your management reporting. The security in the system will allow you to give just the right access to certain functions as well as screen elements to ensure complete control over your inventory operations.
Ordering and Inventory Sizes
For each item, you can quickly set your inventory size and then create one or more purchasing sizes. Note how you can set the conversion and usage from each purchasing size.
POS Menu Items
Depending on your POS system, you may have two options to link your menu items to recipes and inventory items. The first is a simple POS mapping. We list all menu items and modifiers allowing you to link them to the appropriate recipe or item.
If your POS supports a 2-way sync, then we can create the actual menu items and push them in automatically.
Recipe Unit Conversions
You can also determine what the weight or volume is of each item. By doing this, you can then use any other unit of measure in a recipe and let the system handle the automatic conversion. For example, if an item is one pound, you can use 8 ounces in the recipe (not ½ of 1 pound).
Yellow Dog Inventory supports unlimited vendors for any item.
We can also tag the item’s location within each outlet. We use this to print or display physical count sheets in the order of how the product is actually laid out.
Bar Code Label Printing
Yellow Dog Inventory includes a bar code printing system for any scanning needs you might have. You can design an unlimited number of bar code templates where you determine what item information to include, graphics to print, and how all the text will be formatted. Whether it is a label for your grab and go items or bin labels to expedite your physical process, Yellow Dog Inventory has you covered.
Looking for a suggested reorder report? Simply use the reorder point and par level fields for each item and store combination. We recommend that the reorder report be saved and emailed automatically each week.
Yellow Dog Inventory has a dynamic and easy to use recipe function. Simply add the ingredient items (or other recipes) and set the quantity and unit of measure.
Need a recipe card for the line? Each recipe has a tab for the instructions as well as up to three pictures which will populate one of the many templates we provide with our system.
Recipe and Ingredient Behaviors
Each recipe may have unique needs when it comes to how ingredients get reduced, how to handle waste entry, or counting items for your physicals. Yellow Dog Inventory has some predefined behaviors for things like traditional recipes or batch recipes, but you can always select your own options. See the example on the next page.
Easily select just the items you want to add to a physical and determine how you want to see the item sorted on the screen as well as on any printed count sheets.
You will see a grid displaying all of the counts you have entered. These counts and related columns can come from different locations, different handheld sessions, and from batch items. Previous on-hand and variances are clearly shown. Detailed historical reporting for physicals is included.
You can also count batch items to automatically add to the ingredient counts. In the example below, 40 batches are translated into the specific ingredient counts.
You can set the effective date and time for each physical to allow you to post variances correctly. No need to rush to beat the clock or stop processing data until you have your counts done.
Below are some of the screens of our mobile handheld system.
Tracking waste is fast and easy with Yellow Dog Inventory. Simply add the items to the adjustment list (ordering or inventory units) you want to reduce. Then select a reason code for the adjustment and enter a reference. The reason codes are unlimited so you can track your waste at any detail you wish.
Yellow Dog Inventory has a complete purchasing offering which includes requests, purchase orders, receipts, invoices, transfers, and returns to vendors.
The flow of these purchasing documents can be related – meaning a request for product can be created which can then be turned into a PO or perhaps a transfer.
The example below shows a manually entered invoice complete with miscellaneous expenses.
Vendor EDI Integration
Yellow Dog Software offers approximately 30 EDI interfaces with various vendors to electronically import invoices and price lists. Typically, these items are processed several times a day. Depending on your configuration, these invoices can come across as a receipt or a pending invoice awaiting your confirmation. You can also have invoices be automatically accepted.
The interface can take any new items and assign them to a temporary coding structure so that your invoice process is never interrupted.
The example below shows how an invoice from Sysco has been automatically imported as an invoice.
To help eliminate the manual posting of an invoice, Yellow Dog Software offers an optional interface that can send them electronically to any accounting system that can accept an import file (such as Quickbooks). Our software has an accounting “mapping table” where you can setup your general ledger codes. This will ensure that every item or expense has the proper general ledge code assigned.
Yellow Dog Software can create an output file in the accounting system’s format that allows the invoice to be imported and a bill created. Additional functions can be configured with most accounting systems to provide detailed inventory exports. All accounting integrations will require the end user to import the file exported from Yellow Dog Software. Accounting exports will require the client to have an understanding of how the import file is configured to take advantage of the integration.
Commissary and Transfers to Multiple Outlets
Yellow Dog Inventory can be configured to manage all of the physical inventory outlets within your enterprise. In the example below, we show how a location may have 7 outlets, but only carry a product in 3 of those outlets. Note – this could be 7 physical “stores” across a chain.
Transfers can be issued and accepted by a user, or you can have one person be able to issue and have the receiving store have to accept it.
You can also create a “Reverse Transfer” to return certain items back to the originating location. A great way to handle bringing product back into a location that went unused.
Yellow Dog Inventory includes over 200 standard reports covering the key operational area of sales, inventory, item movement, physical inventories, purchasing, and employees. We are continuously enhancing or adding new reports based solely on user feedback and needs.
You can hide/show the columns for each report, add subtotals, and sort the information any way you want. This allows you to take any report and change it to your exact needs.
You can also save reports and even set them to be emailed to you and your team automatically.
Yellow Dog Inventory also handles retail items! You can setup each user to utilize different item views so that it looks one way for your F&B inventory users and another way for your retail users.
Yellow Dog Inventory has integrations to some of the leading point of sale systems in the industry. As we are constantly adding additional interfaces, please check with our sales department to see if you system has been added or if it can be shortly. Also, please click here to visit our POS integration listing.
Sales & Catering Integrations
Yellow Dog Inventory can also integrate to the Delphi Sales and Catering System.
We have integrated Yellow Dog Inventory with several scale systems. This allows Yellow Dog to be the system that will manage the price (and send it both the scale and to the POS) as well as decrement the correct quantity from inventory (since the POS will typically only send a quantity of 1 and a total price). Please talk to our sales team to get the details on which scales/POS systems we work with.
Web Cart Integrations
Do you sell products on the web such as T-Shirts or Hats? No problem. We offer integrations to leading web carts like Shopify and Magento to automatically process your orders and reduce your inventory. We can even send your on-hand counts to ensure your customers know what you have in stock.
Standard Feature Listing of Yellow Dog Inventory
Below are some of the standard features included with Yellow Dog Inventory.
Item Creation and Management
- Unlimited Levels (Department/Sub Department/Category/Sub Category)
- Create items on the fly during any purchase order, receipt, invoice or other system function
- Custom automatic SKU Numbering
- Each item can be attached to multiple stores, warehouse, and storerooms
- Item list has 11 views (classic, purchasing related, activity, SLU & UPC, etc.)
- Search for items by store, vendor, SKU, level, or full or partial description
- Inactivate items without deleting history
- Matrix items (Size x Color)
- Kit Items (Gift Basket contains 5different items)
- Recipes (deduct inventory item based on POS item)
- Weighed Items
- Cost has 8 decimals (10.12345678), On-Hand has 6 (1.123456)
- Description (used for POS description) and Extended Description (labels and reports)
- 6 dimensions attributes – drop down selection per item (great for wine)
- Price can be calculated by markup or profit margin %
- Shipping can be added into the cost of each item
- On-hand, on-order, reorder point, and reorder quantity set per item by location
- Pictures for each item
- Aliases (supports unlimited UPC and other alternate lookup codes per item)
- Average weighted cost, LIFO, FIFO
- Parent/Child management (ex. case/12 pack/can)
- Scheduled sales pricing
- Interactive view allows editing of multiple items on same screen
Vendors and Manufacturers
- Unlimited vendors and manufacturers
- Assign separate vendor and manufacturer per item
- Vendor code can be part of SKU number
- Fields for account number, vendor tax id, website, terms, and notes
- View and edit all items from a vendor
- Multiple Vendors Per item
- Works with numerous handheld devices
- Physical count sheets can also be used
- Apply physical inventory count changes as of a date/time
- List of items can be filtered to just show variances only between counts and on-hand
- Variance shown on screen and report
- Add all items, items by vendor, by levels, or individual items for counts
- Show item history on demand to determine variance
- Batch items can c ount ingredients
Purchasing, Receiving, and Requests
- Requests – Store can submit requests for review and approval
- Purchase Order – Requests can be converted to a PO or you can create new orders without a request. Orders can be created based on reorder points and inventory on-han
- Receipts – Receive inventory with or without a PO
- Invoice Entry – Enter item costs and additional expenses (freight, embroidery, etc.)
- Custom templates for all forms (requests, orders, receipts, invoices)
- Automatic order numbering
- Add new items on the fly
- Print Labels when receiving items
- Pre-allocate quantities to auto-transfer to multiple stores on receipt
- “Purchasing View” let’s you view product by PAR and re-order values and create PO directly from that view
- Open To Buy included in base software
- Purchase orders can be printed in the vendor’s defined currency with conversion
Transfers and Returns to Vendors
- Transfers items from one store to another
- Transfers can be automatic or require receipt and acceptance
- Custom transfer templates
- Automatic transfer numbering
- Add new items on the fly during the transfer process
- Returns items to vendors
- Custom template for returns
- Automatic transfer numbering based on Store, Vendor, Incremental, and manual input
- Record accounting reason for return
- Reverse transfers to return items to originating location
- Over 200 Standard reports
- On-Hand Reports for any date/time
- One-Click from report display to imbed report into new outlook email
- Report can be saved for one click generation
- Reports can be scheduled to be sent via email automatically
- One-Click from report export data to new excel sheet or csv file
- Report groups for sales, inventory, orders, etc.
- Display or hide various columns per report
- Easily sort and subtotal data
Labels and Forms
- Customize any label size
- Add any of the 43 data elements to the label or add your own text or pictures
- Ability to print on demand or “queue” labels for batch printing
- Supports both standard and roll printers
- Starting position selection for partial full page labels
- Purchase orders, requests, receipts, invoice reconciliation, transfers, physical worksheets, receiving worksheets, and return forms can be 100% customized
Users, Security, and Help
- Unlimited employees
- Display of employee access rights
- Set security by menu, primary functions, view/edit, option/required
- Restrict employees to certain store(s)
- Log report of all system changes by employee
Stores, Warehouses, and Locations
- Unlimited stores can be setup
- Stores can be connected to the POS or exist as warehouses or storage locations
- Square feet per store field provides for sales per square foot reporting
- Built-in import provides for user controlled imports
- Import any item information
- Import vendor and Level Information
- System uses local workstation settings to display date, time, and currency